Let's talk about this

People management is much more than managing people in the workplace

People management is much more than managing people in the workplace

by ANGGORO GAGAH RAHARDIYAWAN . -
Number of replies: 2

Most organization leaders know that the people working for them are important. However, not all of them are aware that their people management skill can be more impactful than their people’s raw talent. As what we have learnt, people management is much more than managing people in the workplace; it isn’t as simple as providing what they need to get their jobs done. People management at its core is about paying attention to and caring for employees. It could mean looking after their wellbeing or inspiring them to do their best work.

People management if done well can increase productivity, engage employees, and inspire innovation in an organization. From my experience as an intern in ‘Agate’, a video game development company based in Indonesia, having a good people management can improve employee’s ability as an individual and as a team; it also can provide the organization with loyal employees, especially when their vision, mission, and goal are aligned with that of the organization.

From what I have learnt and read in the lecture, there are five key components that can help an organization to achieve a good people management:

1. Acquire the right talent and build an effective team.
  2. Develop a clear understanding of the people of the people who make the organization.
  3. Establish a proper flow of communication between team members.
  4. Bring team members together for better, more reliable and faster collaboration.
  5. Embrace each members differences and make best use of it.

Aside from those five, there are three strong components that I pick from my experience as an intern in ‘Agate’:

1. Providing employees with suitable and fit position. Having the employees work on a position they are passionate and excel at can increase their motivation and productivity.
  2. Good organization culture and work life balance. Activities besides working at an organization can create strong collaboration and cooperation between team members.
  3. Provide chances to improve personal skills. Training, knowledge sharing, etc. can help employees to improve their skills and may help the organization innovate.

In my opinion, a good people management is achieved when employees no longer think working is a chore and they enjoy working at the organization and are excited to go to work.

In reply to ANGGORO GAGAH RAHARDIYAWAN .

Re: People management is much more than managing people in the workplace

by HIRA IRFAN AHMED . -
Hi Anggoro,
I enjoyed reading your response, as well as your experience as an intern. It definitely is so much more than just raw talent that is exploited or used by employers. It was interesting to know which aspects applied to you while you were working, and how you simplified people management to what it really is: no longer thinking working is a chore and something to be enjoyed!
In reply to ANGGORO GAGAH RAHARDIYAWAN .

Re: People management is much more than managing people in the workplace

by MARYAM ALIMARDANI . -
Hi Anggoro,
Your post was a nice read. I liked the way you categorized people management key elements.
As an entrepreneur, I know how hard is to find the best matched talent with your business principles. However, keeping talented people in organization is another story and not an easy one. I think being a motivational people manager is one of the key jobs in futuristic businesses, specially for tech companies.
P.S: Thanks for sharing your experience as an intern in "Agate". It was a good remembrance of my online adver-gaming startup.