Let's talk about this

Bad Employees? Or Bad Leaders?

Bad Employees? Or Bad Leaders?

by TONG ME MI . -
Number of replies: 3

A house with broken locks and doors can make you feel unsafe and scared, and you will feel like leaving as soon as possible to a place where you can feel secured and happy.  

Likewise, the best skilled employees in an organisation can feel unsafe in an organisational environment which is toxic with no growth or improvements. The only positivity out of it is the increasing positive number of attrition rate. As such, practising good people management is just as important if not more so than having good people. 

The key components that can help an organisation achieve good people management are:

1. Growth mindset
  2. Safe culture
  3. Quick action

Growth mindset – A conscious growth mindset can keep one on their toes by taking calculated move to ensure that the next course of action supports growth, or at least does not stunt it. Business leaders with such mindset will “pause and think” before an action, and “reflect to improve” after an action. Such mindset is a gatekeeper to uncontrolled emotional tongue-lashing which demotivates even the best employee. 

Safe culture – While business leaders may have a growth mindset, there can be unintentional blind spots which frustrates employees. Employees shall be able to feel safe to share their voices, and business leaders shall encourage such culture equipped with safe channels for voicing.

Quick action – The “wait and see” method is prudent in ensuring the best possible response to a matter; However, waiting too long can be detrimental to the mental health of all parties involved, and will be worse if it affects productivity and key business decisions. A quick action ensures that a matter is addressed while it is still fresh and any misunderstanding can be quickly clarified.  For example, when an employee is perceived to be not performing as expected, a quick action from business leader to understand the matter and address the root cause can help both the employee and company grow, instead of waiting till the official performance review to put an (confused) employee on a Performance Improvement Plan.

All in all, business leaders have the responsibility to create a desirable workplace for employees, and it can be achieved with exercising a growth mindset, creating a safe culture, and taking quick action to address issues. So, when things go south in an organisation, business leaders should take a step back and think, “Bad employees? Or bad leaders?”

In reply to TONG ME MI .

Re: Bad Employees? Or Bad Leaders?

by EMAAN MALIK . -
Your broken lock analogy is quite well-said. I agree, having a "pause and think" mindset in a safe communication channel is very effective in the successful management of people. However, don't you think your quick action and growth mindset components may contradict each other, since the former focuses on reflecting whereas the latter pushes for, well, "quick actions"?
In reply to EMAAN MALIK .

by TONG ME MI . -
Appreciate your comment, Emaan; thanks for pointing that out.
Agree that it may sound contradicting, that's why the "quick action" point started with addressing "waiting too long".

Come to think of it, the better word here should be "Timely action". Thanks for highlighting and causing me to rethink my points! :)
In reply to TONG ME MI .

by ZHA MING . -
The first level: To meddle in others' affairs is to meddle in others' affairs. To be angry is to punish yourself for others' mistakes.

Level 2: Stewarding means doing everything personally, focusing only on the outcome of the event and ignoring the human management of employees.

Level 3: Only by winning people's hearts can we win people.